Wednesday, June 20, 2007


I will never date again...I think

I used to think that being single was fun because I liked meeting new people. I liked the excitement of all of the firsts that come along with a new relationship. I'm just not feeling that way these days. It isn't as if I mind being on my own-in fact I don't think I mind enough...Just the idea of encountering a stranger and having to map them out psychologically and emotionally seems less exciting and more like work.

I am almost 30. I am a spinster by every definition. For any Italians reading this (io sono una zitella). I am more set in my ways and yet, still totally unimpressed with monogamy.

Oh, and I am strange. I have trouble behaving, I cook brunch for dinner, I am generally pretty gassy, if I drink end up using uncomfortable drunk words like "social economic status"and I am terrified of cars to the point that I still don't drive.

Any human that gets involved with me must:

be passionate about something. there has to be something that gets you out of bed.

be flawed and comfortable with those flaws.

needs to let me run when I need to run but still tell be able to tell me no.

not want to change me or view me as a wild horse that needs to be broken.

Must understand that my work is central to who I am and that work will come first sometimes. It doesn't mean that I don't love you, it just means I need to go.

you have to laugh. daily. If we can't laugh together-I don't care if you can make my toes curl. Though admittedly,I may call you from time to time to make my toes curl-I just won't date you per se.

Know that we won't be happy if we don't have a life away from each other. I am going to Italy and you may or may not be invited.

I am still friends with my exes. They are no threat to you. I have mostly guy friends. They are no threat to you... now that Brian is married. (:

Music. Gotta love it. The music thing is non-negotiable. Your taste must be eclectic...I fell in love with a guy because even though he generally listened to jam bands, we were out one night and a song by the Cramps came on the jukebox-he knew every word. That's really all it took.

You need to be able to relax in bed. Let loose and really surrender yourself.

You need to feel free. Whatever that means to you.

I picture old age as a porch, a garden, a couple of dogs and laughter. I want happy, well adjusted children and I want to give them the most precious gift my parents gave me: my independence.

You need to be able to seize the moment, to take silly and unnecessary risks...be spontaneous...

and most importantly...you need to know when to leave.

Any questions?

No comments: